The Museum is located next to the Monumental Olive Tree of Vouves, the oldest olive tree in the ...
 
 
Take the virtual tour to the Olive Tree Museum of Vouves and the nearby sites  
 
 
Examine the museum’s exhibits with high resolution photos and 3D presentations
 

The museum and its area

 
 
 

The Olive Tree Museum of Vouves is located near the Monumental Olive Tree of Vouves in the settlement of Pano Vouves, thus creating a uniform and harmonious ensemble.

The museum is housed in a traditional building, which maintains all the characteristics of an austere and, at the same time, authentic, intelligent and functional folk architecture of this area, the preservation of which constitutes one of the cultural objectives set by municipal authorities. The building was donated to the Municipality by the family of Panagiotis Karapatakis, who used it as its residence.

Moreover, it is located in a primarily olive-producing area, in the mountainous region of this Municipality. Kolymbari olive oil is produced in this region: a famous, award-winning olive oil that is considered as one of the best in the world.

At the Olive Tree Museum of Vouves, special emphasis is placed on the preservation and promotion of tools that were used until the middle of the previous century (mid 1950’s) in an uninterrupted, daily and continuous manner for many centuries or even millenniums by the people of this land and then suddenly disappeared, not only from their lives but also from their memories.

A typical example of this is the wooden plough, which is exhibited in the museum hall dedicated to cultivation and olive processing. It was used to cultivate land, from prehistoric times until the mid 1950’s. It is called “Hesiod’s plough”, because Hesiod was the first to describe it; nowadays, its existence is remembered by very few people. Due to the especially close and important relationship of the plough with the life of the people of this land, who have worked hard and have fought to cultivate their land so that it may bear its valuable crop as well as many other products, our Municipality tried to recover a series of various items marking the evolution of the plough, which was used in the past before it was abandoned for power-driven tractors. Such items include the classic iron plough, the single furrow and the two-furrow plough etc.